by Karen Nakamura
The category of photoethnographers is going to be a necessarily contentious one since it's a label that has only recently been invented. Under the critieria of "representing other cultures visually," I came up with the list below. Additions, corrections, and comments are greatly appreciated. KN
Destitute peapickers in California; a 32 year old mother of seven children. February 1936. Dorothea Lange.
Photoethnographic Researchers & Photoethnographies
- Bateson, Gregory and Margaret Mead (1942). Balinese character, a photographic analysis. New York,: The New York academy of sciences.
- Doty, C. Stewart, Dale S. Mudge, et al. (2002). Photographing Navajos : John Collier, Jr. on the reservation, 1948-1953 by C. Stewart Doty, Dale Sperry Mudge, Herbert J. Benally ; photographs by John Collier Jr. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
- Kratz, Corinne Ann (2002). The ones that are wanted : communication and the politics of representation in a photographic exhibition. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Parr, Martin and Simon Winchester (1995). Small world: a global photographic project, 1987-1994. Stockport England: Dewi Lewis Pub.
- Poole, Deborah (1997). Vision, race, and modernity : a visual economy of the Andean image world. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
- Smith, W. Eugene and Aileen Mioko Smith (1975). Minamata. New York: Holt Rinehart and Winston.
- Vogt, Evon Zartman (1974). Aerial photography in anthropological field research. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Westermarck, Edward and Kirsti Suolinna (2000). Portraying Morocco : Edward Westermarck's fieldwork and photographs 1898-1913. ?Abo: ?Abo Akademis F?orlag.
Visual Anthropologists Working with Photographic Material
- Banta, Melissa, Curtis M. Hinsley, et al. (1986). From site to sight: anthropology, photography, and the power of imagery : a photographic exhibition from the collections of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology and the Department of Anthropology, Harvard University. Cambridge, Mass.: Peabody Museum Press : Distributed by Harvard University Press.
- Devereaux, Leslie and Roger Hillman (1995). Fields of vision : essays in film studies, visual anthropology, and photography. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Edwards, Elizabeth (2001). Raw histories: photographs, anthropology and museums. Oxford ; New York: Berg.
- Fitzhugh, William W. and Chisato O. Dubreuil, Ed. (2000). Ainu : Spirit of a Northern People. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- Howarth, Anthony (1967). Kenyatta, a photographic biography. Nairobi: East African Pub. House.
- Pezzati, Alessandro and University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. (2002). Adventures in photography : expeditions of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
- Phillips, Sandra S., Mark Haworth-Booth, et al. (1997). Police pictures: the photograph as evidence. San Francisco: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art : Chronicle Books.
(with caveats that agreeably some are stretching the boundaries
- William Albert Allard (American, 1937-)
- Diane Arbus (American, 1923-1971)
- Letizia Battaglia
- Werner Bischof
- Manuel Alvarez Bravo
- Horace Bristol
- Robert Capa
- Henri Cartier-Bresson
- Edward Curtis
- Paul D'Amato
- William Eggleston (American)
- Walker Evans (American, 1903-1975)
- Harvey Finkle (American)
- Margaret Bourke-White (American, 1904-1971)
- Robert Doisneau
- Robert Frank
- Lee Friedlander
- Nan Goldin (American, 1953-)
- Lewis Hine (American, 1874-1940)
- Wing Young Huie (American, 1955-)
- Dorothea Lange (American, 1895-1965)
Lyon (American, 1942-)
- Art History: Photography: Essays: Danny Lyon: The Responsible Witness
- Sally Mann
- Robert Mapplethorpe
- Lisette Model (American, b. Austria, 1906-1983)
Salgado (Brazilian; 1944- )
- Home Page
- W. Eugene Smith (American, 1918-1978)
- Weegee (Arthur Fellig) (American, b. Austria, 1899-1968)
- Carrie Ma Weems (American, 1953-)
- Gary Winogrand (1928-1984)
- Daniel Cheng Yang
- Suggestions to the list are welcome.
Security Administration -- Office of War Information (1935-1945)
- contains photos by Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, and more
- Masters of Photography.com
- NARA Confederate War Photos
Copyright © 2002-11 by Karen Nakamura. All rights reserved. This page and its images may not be reduplicated in any form. Use in ebay auctions strictly prohibited, violaters will be reported. Please do not jeopardize your feedback ratings by engaging in copyright violations, it is a violation of Federal and International Copyright law as well as ebay terms of service.
Last modified: Monday, 20-May-2013 14:40:13 EDT , [an error occurred while processing this directive] .